Friday, June 3, 2011

A tutorial....

Hi there people.

This month I have a Technique focus in Scrapbooking Memories magazine.


Here is a more detailed tutorial for you to try.

This is a variation on a technique that I use regularly with Cuttlebug projects and thought it would look good on a layout.

I raided my hubbys shed and came across some Aluminum Tape. I actually think it's used for roofing or something like that but it does the job just nice! It's super sticky and VERY unforgiving {and also cuts worse than a paper cut}.



Firstly I placed all my chipboard on a heavy chipboard background, positioned it then glued it down. This is a great way to use up odd shapes and letters!


I cover the entire LO with the tape wrapping the ends to the back of the chipboard being careful not to pull it too tight. The tape will be pushed into the crevices next. 

Using a scoring tool or something that has a round tip, I ran it abound the edges of the covered chipboard shapes so that they were more enhanced.

Next thing I did was create some patterns using various tools. Firstly I did some scrape with my fingernails, then some zig zags and dots with the scorer and finally using a Cuttlebug embossing folder, I transferred the pattern by using a rolling pin to force the pattern thru to the foil tape. 

I decided to see if embossing powder would stick to the tape so I gently rubbed the Distress Ink Embossing pad direct to the shape then sprinkled the black powder over the top and it worked beautifully.


So next comes the messy bit. Using Ranger Alcohol Inks, I completely covered the entire project in Black Ink making sure to get into all the gaps and edges.




Once dry, I used a few different sanding blocks to sand it back. I move in circular movements and back and forth to get the look I am after. Get into the chipboard shapes and if you find you take off too much ink, then just put on another coat. 


After this step, I gave it a light spray with a heavy Metallic Silver spray by Memories Mists by StewartSuperior and let it dry then a light coat of Cinder Glimmermist. This gave it a little more texture and came up looking great. 





The entire layout had to sit overnight to completely dry and the result this morning just blew me away. I love the way the ink has settled into the nooks of the chipboard and the light catches it at different levels.

Thanks to Ange at Srapware for the chipboard.


Have a great weekend

8 comments:

  1. ohlala I love it ! I already used this technique for my steampunk card but I never try it on an entire layout !

    ReplyDelete
  2. a masterpiece !!!! a true treasure.. thanks Nat absolutely amazing stuff.... hugz x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tute Nat. Very detailed and beautifully and clearly explained. Love, love, love the end result. Might just have to give this a go. Thanks for sharing . xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! how inventive and creative.. looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very creative use of the product, to tackle a whole page of techniques is impressive, really well done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Natalie, this is simply STUNNING. I love it. I saw it in the magazine and fell in love with your page, now I've seen your online tutorial, I think I could actually manage to do something with that technique. So a huge thank you for sharing your creativity and talent with us.
    Cheers,
    Kasey ~ in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when you create textured stuff I want to touch it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tutorial leaves me gawping, how on earth do you come up with amazing stuff like this?! Looks like so much fun and the result is totally fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me some love! xxx